Insurgent

Insurgent  - Veronica Roth Like a wild animal, the truth is too powerful to remain caged.

Well, I felt like Insurgent was Big Dumb Fun just in exactly the same way that the first book was. I know a lot of people didn't agree, and it might be because I sped through it in a couple of hours, but I was really satisfied with the way this book progressed. Let's face it, this book is escapism in a really ridiculous fashion.

Tris is the main reason I keep reading these books. Tris who is sixteen and young and stupid and brave and athletic and makes ridiculous decisions but whose heart is always in the right place. I like that she is somewhere in the middle – neither perfect nor with cripplingly low self-esteem, neither always right nor always wrong. Her relationship with Four doesn't define her ( her willingness to go behind his back and consort with Marcus pretty much shows that, even though it's probably not the best decision, because it's the one she thinks is right and most beneficial to the most people at the time – possibly a wee bit impulsive, but that's in character too). The Faction system continues to be completely unworkable, but if you can't accept that you probably haven't made it this far anyway.

It isn't as good as Divergent. I think that Tris's angsting about killing Will was a bit much. I'm glad it was included but it goes on for far too long and in a story where so much is happening at once, it didn't really need to be rammed home this much. Plus, I feel like it's a bit out of character. Tris shows herself to ultimately be pretty pragmatic about what happens in this situation and it seemed more likely to me that she would confront her gun fear and move on than keep this going til the end of the book.

I'm going to keep this short as I read it three months ago and I'm worried about spoiling certain things from Allegiant. However, as long as you don't go in expecting everything to suddenly start making perfect sense, this should be an enjoyable enough read for you. I give Insurgent eight out of ten.