Magicians - Lev Grossman Two stars only because the writing in itself was decent, if not mind-blowing.What. A. Fucking. Mess.Really, that was pretty awful. Quentin is horrendous. Alice is a non-character and has a complete personality reversal about midway through the book. Eliot is... what the fuck is Eliot supposed to be? This author vacillates between ripping off plot ideas from other books (for the first 200 pages I could buy that it was more of a pastiche or a sort of loving nod, but it quickly veered into total running-out-of-ideas-so-I'll-borrow-some territory) and just skipping large periods of time because he's not sure what to do. The plot was just plain ridiculous, boring, and non-existent and I'm not even sure how that's possible. And don't even get me STARTED on the characterisation. These people seem to exist for the purposes of the (non-)plot and have no real qualities inherent to themselves. Apart from Alice, until the Fillory incident. SIGH. The first 200 pages were easily worth 3.5 stars, maybe even four and then it all falls apart so spectacularly that I almost ended up hating it completely.