Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen, Anna Quindlen Let's get this clear: I love Jane Austen.Sometimes, I feel like I have to defend this view. Some people have a tendency to dismiss her, to some extent, as women's fiction. Now I think that's probably true, at least to an extent. I'm not saying that men can't or won't enjoy Jane Austen, but I do think she tends to appeal more towards women. This is not necessarily a bad thing.Now let's leave the gender argument alone and move towards the book itself. This book is incredible. The pacing, the comic timing, the characterisation - oh, for a few more scenes with Charlotte! Or Georgiana! These characters have a minimal effect on the plot, but Austen makes them live and breathe on the page. I want back-story.Somehow I feel the least surprising or affecting thing about the whole story is the romance. Because it's not really about that, is it? It's about realising your judgment is fallible, and, ultimately, learning something about yourself that allows you to form more positive relationships with people. The characters in the book can be divided up into those who learn something about themselves (and end up in not too bad a position) and those who don't (and generally end up in a less favourable poisition). Agh, I just love it.