Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré Harry Potter tends to be one of those things that either works for you or it doesn't. I was just about the right age when the books came out (I must have been around eight-ish when I read the first two and it continued from there) and I always felt that contributed to my affection for the series; I was almost seventeen when the final book was released and just in that same period of almot-adulthood that the protagonist was enduring at the same time.I've read (and reread) all of the books several times. This first is a reasonably simple adventure story right until the end, and I can't fault it for that. There are hints of things to come in the future - nothing is more prescient, nor creepy, than the suggestion that Dumbledore set it all up so that Harry and Voldemort would face each other - but nothing too heavy. Although, in saying that, retrospectively the Mirror of Erised scene is a bit fucked up. I'm not sure I would like to be confronted with my heart's deepest desire like that, though I suppose that's sort of the point. These books were responsible for a lot of my formative reading development, and for that I can't fault them, but I appreciate that this is one of the less fully-formed installments.