The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold Eh. It had some decent bits of writing, but that's about it. The plot is utterly ridiculous (particularly how it ended with all the icky consent issues and just plain bananas logic) and so many of the characters are caricatures. For example, Lindsay, the sister, becomes absolutely perfect in the wake of Susie's death, to the point of absolute irritation. The mum shows no personality at all, then runs away, and I don't care at all. Ruth is tuned to the moon. Literally the only tolerable, still-alive character is Susie's dad. Oh, and the dog. I liked the dog.I don't know, it just seems like the author liked the gimmick more than she was invested in telling the story. Despite how cliche it would be, the story would be much more satisfying if it had ended with the bad guy getting properly caught and everyone living happily ever after and no weird ghost-rape. Then it would just have been an enjoyable, forgettable little mystery, instead of the hot mess it turned into.